The Archive contains all the posts from before the collapse. Users can rescue posts by crossposting from the archive
to earn rewards.
Paul Krugman talks about the war, the election, and the nakedness of the emperor
An interesting interview with Paul Krugman.
"STEAM WARS is the creation of Larry Blamire; artist, actor and writer-director of the indie cult film THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA, released by Sony Pictures. The concept began as an image from a mural he painted in high school and over the years has become something of a "dream project", in paintings, stories, copious notes, film treatment, and--eventually--film itself."
Steam Wars is an elaborate concept for a movie about an alternate history in which the 19th century is dominated by wars between giant, steam-powered killer robots.
Looks really neat... I hope someone decides to make a movie out of this!
A shortage of at least 500,000 poll workers nationwide means many voters could face long lines, cranky volunteers, polling places that don't open or close on schedule and the chance that results won't be known until long after the polls are closed.
Roughly 1.4 million people have been trained to serve as poll workers on Tuesday, about the same as four years ago, according to the U.S. Election Assistance Commission. But nearly 2 million will be needed to deal with expected heavy turnout, huge numbers of first-time voters and unfamiliar touch-screen machines in hundreds of counties.
You Must Choose: Favorite Guilty Pleasure #1
You Must Choose (Martial Arts Movies #2)
KILL BILL #1
KILL BILL #2
The Presidential election is just days away!
Thank you for participating in the final PollingPoint pre-election poll of 2004. This will be the largest and most representative nationwide election poll conducted this year.
Your answers will be completely confidential and will be used only for measuring public opinion. We will never try to sell you anything or release your personal information.
Penile fracture is the traumatic rupture of the corpus cavernosum. Traumatic rupture of the penis is relatively uncommon and is considered a urologic emergency.
Sudden blunt trauma or abrupt lateral bending of the penis in an erect state can break the markedly thinned and stiff tunica albuginea, resulting in a fractured penis. One or both corpora may be involved, and concomitant injury to the penile urethra may occur. Urethral trauma is more common when both corpora cavernosa are injured.
I would certainly consider rupture of the penis to qualify as an emergency. BOO!!
A 6 pound dog has run into a bureaucratic quagmire. And may be run out of town.
A good 'ol fashion meme
Bold the ones that apply to you...
01. I miss somebody right now
02. I don't watch much TV these days
03. I love olives
04. I love sleeping
05. I own lots of books
06. I wear glasses or contact lenses
07. I love to play video games (mostly easy nintendo/atari products
08. I've smoked pot
09. I've watched porn
10. I have been in a threesome
11. I have been the psycho-ex in a past relationship
12. I believe honesty is usually the best policy
13. I have acne free skin
14. I like and respect Al Sharpton
15. I curse frequently
16. I have changed a lot mentally over the last year
17. I have a hobby
18. I have brown hair
19. I carry my knife/razor everywhere with me
20. I'm really, really smart
21. I've never broken someone's bones
22. I have a secret that I am ashamed to reveal
23. I hate the rain
24. I'm paranoid at times
25. I would get plastic surgery if it were 100% safe, free of cost, and scars
26. I need money right now!
27. I love Sushi
28. I talk really, really fast
29. I have fresh breath in the morning
30. I have semi-long hair
31. I have lost money in Las Vegas
32. I have at least one brother and/or one sister
33. I was born in a country outside of the U.S.
34. I shave my legs on a regular basis
35. I have a twin
36. I have worn fake hair/fingernails/eyelashes in the past
37. I couldn't survive without Caller I.D.
38. I like the way I look
39. I have lied to a good friend in the last 6 months
40. I know how to do cornrows
41. I am usually pessimistic
42. I have a lot of mood swings
43. I think prostitution should be legalized
44. I think Britney Spears is hot
45. I have cheated on a significant other in the past
46. I have a hidden talent (maybe?)
47. I'm always hyper no matter how much sugar I have
48. I think that I'm popular
49. I am currently single
50. I have kissed someone of the same sex
51. I enjoy talking on the phone only if its someone I want to talk to
52. I practically live in sweatpants or PJ pants
53. I love to shop
54. I would rather shop than eat
55. I would classify myself as ghetto
56. I'm bourgie and have worn a sweater tied around my shoulders
57. I'm obsessed with my Livejournal
58. I don't hate anyone
59. I'm a pretty good dancer
60. I don't think Mike Tyson raped Desiree Washington
61. I'm completely embarrassed to be seen with my mother
62. I have a cell phone
63. I believe in God
64. I watch MTV on a daily basis
65. I have passed out drunk in the past 6 months
66. I love drama
67. I have never been in a 'real' relationship before
68. I've rejected someone before
69. I currently have a crush on someone
70. I have no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life
71. I want to have children in the future
72. I have changed a diaper before
73. I've called the cops on a friend before
74. I bite my nails
75. I am a member of the Tom Green fan club
76. I'm not allergic to anything that I know of
77. I have a lot to learn
78. I have dated someone at least 10 years older or younger
79. I plan on seeing Ice Cube's newest "Friday" movie
80. I am very shy around the opposite sex
81. I'm online 24/7, even as an away message
82. I have at least 5 away messages saved
83. I have tried alcohol or drugs before
84. I have made a move on a friend's significant other in the past
85. I own the "South Park" movie
86. I have avoided assignments at work/school to be on Xanga or Livejournal (doing it right now)
87. When I was a kid I played "doctor" with a neighbor or chum
88. I enjoy some country music
90. I think that Pizza Hut has the best pizza
91. I watch soap operas whenever I can
92. I'm obsessive, anal retentive, and often a perfectionist
93. I have used my sexuality to advance my career
94. I love Michael Jackson, scandals and all
95. I know all the words to Slick Rick's "Children's Story"
96. Halloween is awesome because you get free candy
97. I watch Spongebob Squarepants and I like it (it's kinda cute)
98. I have dated a close friend's ex
99. I'm happy as of this moment :D
Not horribly interesting, I know...
But I will give you this to ponder upon.
Vooooooootes from the deeeeead. Spoooooooky.
An untold number of ballots from people who have died since casting them will be counted this year because of the haphazard and cumbersome process of enforcing laws in many states to weed out these votes.
With millions of voters taking advantage of new, in-person early voting in at least 30 states this year, it's even more likely that such "ghost" votes will be counted because, in most cases, those ballots are impossible to retrieve. Besides, it could be days or weeks after the election before local officials get word someone has died.
Earlier this month, in what would be her last conscious act, 90-year-old Trixie Porter gripped a pen in her weak, trembling hand, checked the candidates of her choice and scrawled a squiggled signature on her absentee ballot.
Within an hour, the petite woman who had been suffering from heart problems lay back in her hospital bed, closed her eyes and never woke up. Her ballot arrived at her local elections board two days later, Oct. 5 — the day she died.
The off again, on again Dracula theme park may be on again.
The Trick Or Treaters have started. I think it's four to seven here or something. Anyway, from my window I've got a pretty good view of the whole street. I have seen at least six kids wearing hockey or football uniforms. Not the uniforms of actual pro teams, but the uniforms of the local middle school teams.
If you actually play hockey, dressing up like a hockey player is not a costume! It's just what you are in real life! Lazy bastards.
But it's not just the kids. My friend Erin told me that she was going to a halloween party at some bar... And I asked her what she was going as. "A nurse," she said.
She IS a nurse. She was just going to wear her uniform from work. Not only that, she had to work earlier that day, so she was just going to KEEP HER UNIFORM ON.
Instead of taking the time to put on a costume, she was just not going to change clothes when she got home!
Lazy, lazy, lazy...
If it's what you actually do in real life, it's not a f'ing costume. Am I right, or am I right?
PSA: Reposting, bitching, and you.
We all repost. It happens.
Admins on occasion delete the wrong link or incorrectly delete a nonrepost. Again, It happens.
Guess what? We're all human, though some people seem to think I'm an internet robot
If you've got a link that's indistinguishable from an already posted link, except that it has more info or a video, post it as a comment. If it's wildly different, like it has a video where the first link didn't even mention one, then it'd not be a repost.
If an admin deletes a link you feel should not have been, try talking to the admin. If you haven't dug yourself into a hole by complaining overmuch, they'll usually be quite receptive and helpful.
I probably missed a few important points, I'm counting on an admin or two to add them in a comment. I must go now, as I've put off this dishwasher install for too long already today. Have a few puppies:
Ouch - Part II
Well, I'm certainly sore today, which is none too surprising. It became obvious last night that I had slid on my left hip as well, and that's beginning to feel bruised. My left shoulder and chest are quite sore as well. All perfectly normal and to be expected.
My arm still hurts quite a bit. I've been keeping a sterile dressing on it, as it has been bleeding and oozing. I mentioned that maybe I should take the dressing off and give it chance to dry out and heal up. My wife is concerned about scarring if I let it scab. It seems that the surgeon who put the stitches on my son's forehead after he dived into the corner of a coffee table suggested that scabs cause scarring. But that was a relatively minor injury, and debriding the scab was not that big a deal.
But this is a pretty large abrasion, and the idea of tearing the scab off every day doesn't appeal to me. So I did a little research, and it appears that the treatment du jour for road rash is to scrub it down to pink healthy tissue, then apply a moist cover, like a second skin product. So I ran down to the drug store and picked up some J&J Advanced Healing pads. The best thing about them is that you leave them on for several days at a time. Supposedly you keep the injury moist, and it heals from the bottom up, instead of from the scab down, reducing scarring. Whatever. I need to take some ibuprofen.
As for other equipment damage, I lost my helmet mirror, although it doesn't look like (and didn't feel like) my helmet actually made contact with the road. I also shattered the flashing light I had mounted on the left side of the seat. Well, I wanted to get a brighter tail light anyway.
Time to start carving pumpkins and prepping for Trick-or-Treaters.