My dad mostly seems to like action movies, with a preference of martial arts over shoot/blow-em-up, but gunplay is acceptable (a la the Transporter series). Also, he's not into going to see new movies in the theater, so it'll have to be available at Blockbuster or Netflix.
In order for me to not go nuts over really stupid examples of the genre while watching them with him, please recommend some action movies according to the following criteria:
1. The hero cannot depend overly-much on pure luck and/or the poor marksmanship of the bad guys. If there's a scene with the good guy stands in the open with pistol(s) blazing and manages to take out three or more bad guys armed with machine guns, I'm not interested (exceptions - if the hero can control "reality" and stop bullets like Neo in Matrix).
2. The hero does not becomes a martial arts expert after getting a crash course in super-secret technique from a sympathetic master, which process only seems to take a month or two. (exceptions - comedy, like "Kung Fu Panda")
3. If the plot revolves around some super-science weapon or bioweapon, please let it not be too much of a violation of known science.
4. If there is a love interest, let her be believably lovable, as opposed to the Ukranian #[email protected]
! in Transporter 3.
5. No animation - not so much my objection, but I suspect my dad would hate it (although he did ask to see Kung Fu Panda, and seemed to enjoy it for it's quality).
Eagerly awaiting your suggestions!